Daryl L. Hawkins AIA
Bachelor of Architecture Degree, 1970, with honors
California State Polytechnic University,
San Luis Obispo, CA
California Architect License C-8269 since 1974
Daryl Hawkins began his career at JHW Architects, becoming a principal in 1974 and president in 1997. A native son of Monterey and Monterey High School, he returned to Monterey after graduation from Cal Poly in 1970 and has remained with the firm his entire professional life of 45 years now as an architect, a rare event in the career of a design professional. Honing his talents under the guidance of senior partners, Daryl has found his focus in the design and master planning of churches as well as becoming the repeat architect to guide and care for the ongoing commercial architectural needs of the many local institutions of Monterey. This has included the Monterey Bay Aquarium, CSU Monterey Bay, Middlebury Institute of International Studies, the City of Monterey, the Monterey College of Law, the Cannery Row Company, and many other local hotels and businesses of Monterey. He has been the architect for the very historic Casa Munras Hotel for 40 years, through 4 different owners and many projects.
One of his favorite projects has been Cypress Community Church, and he served as architect for all 5 phases over 20 years with Rev. Wayne Adams. The sanctuary design, which was modeled after his own earlier church design at the Monterey Living Hope Church of the Nazarene, received a design award from the local AIA Monterey Bay Chapter. His other significant projects with the firm were the Spindrift Inn on Cannery Row which he has also remodeled several times, the Samson Student Center for MIIS, the Gilroy Presbyterian Church, and the McGowan Building for MIIS, originally designed as a private office and retail building and later purchased by MIIS and he remodeled it for their needs.
His community involvement has included the following:
- Monterey Bay Chapter AIA, Board Member for 7 years and President in 1982
- Member Board of Trustees for Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, for 9 years
- Monterey Living Hope Church of the Nazarene Board member for 45 years, secretary of the Board, Head of Trustees
- City of Monterey: Building and Disabled Access Appeals Board since 2004
- Western Region Vice President Nazarene Building Professionals, and committee of three to edit and write the published of the "Church Construction Kit", a manual and guide for churches to build and remodel their facilities.
- Chairman of the Northern California District Church of the Nazarene Board of Church Properties. This committee is responsible to oversee the 70 Nazarene Churches in the district for guidance and oversight of their church facilities and properties.
Daryl's love of photography is what led him back to this beautiful, scenic area. He has taken all the pictures of the JHW buildings for the firm and this web site for all the years he has been involved, as well as won awards for his scenic photographs starting in Monterey High School. Together with his wife Carol, they have greatly enjoyed their time here in Monterey for these 45 years. Their son Doug was raised here and attended Monterey High School also, from across the street right behind the school. Doug is now living in Seattle doing computer related work, and they make frequent visits up there, as well as Doug annually coming to the Monterey Jazz Festival. His interest in jazz was started with the Monterey High School band and then the Jazz Band, which he then carried on while attending Point Loma Nazarene University.