This classic Monterey landmark, built in 1915 as a boat landing pier to unload salmon, was remodeled to become a retail store in 1954. By 1976, Wharf #2's General Store was ready to remodel and expand. JHW Architects designed a new addition for the rear of the building to emphasize the Gift Shop, but after proceeding through the difficult City of Monterey permit process, the owner was unable to continue. Ultimately, in 1990, they were ready to resume and JHW designed a new facade for the front of the building. Pleased with the results, the client decided to finish out the original expansion plans for the rear.
As JHW's principal in charge, Daryl Hawkins went to work with the City of Monterey, consulting engineers and the owners to update existing plans and render a design that was serviceable to all concerned. The City as well as the Coastal Commission and neighbors agreed on a plan to provide a public walkway around the new back addition, giving access to a better view of the waterfront. The end result is a large, expanded General
Store with an outside deck that invites visitors to enjoy an up close view of the harbor and Monterey coastline.