Designed as the new faculty offices for this international school, the McCone Center is a complete remodel of the former Monterey Herald Newspaper into an administrative center. The exterior was taken from a "1950's modern" design to a Monterey style, reflective of its historic location next to Colton Hall on Pacific Street.
Three stories totaling 40,000 S.F. include offices for 60 faculty members, classrooms and a ground floor punctuated by a spectacular skylit atrium. The former press bay was transformed into a 300-seat auditorium with state of the art translation facilities for five different languages.
The design won a 1994 Citation Award from the American Institute of Architects, Monterey Bay Chapter.